Sign up to our mailing list

Current Brexit Advice

  • Current Brexit Advice

    Current Brexit Advice

    Following the Withdrawal Agreement, the UK departed the EU on 31 January 2020.  We are now in a transition period (also known as the 'implementation period') which will last until at least 31 December 2020.  During this time, everything will remain the same and you can continue to travel without any changes.

    UK passports issued by the UK, Gibraltar, Guernsey, the Isle of Man and Jersey

    Valid passports can still be used.  You do not need to have six months left on your passport to travel to the EU.  Your passport does, however, need to be valid for the whole of your trip.

    There is a page where you can check the required validity of your passport:

    Driving Licences

    As long as you have a full UK driving licence, you don’t currently need an additional licence to drive in the EU.  This will not change from 31 January 2020.  An International Driving Permit will not be required and you do not need a GB sticker of a Green Card for car insurance.

    Whether you are taking your own car, or hiring a car overseas, please refer to the following website for further advice:

    Health/Travel Insurance

    The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travlling in another EU country.  If you don’t have your EHIC with you or you’ve lost it, you can call the Department of Health Overseas Healthcare Team (+44 191 218 1999) to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate.  UK-registered EHICs will still be valid throughout 2020, and you should still obtain a free EHIC before leaving the UK - the NHS link is here.

    The EHIC entitles you to state provided medical treatment that may become necessary during your trip.  If you don’t have your EHIC with you or you’ve lost it, you can call the Department of Health Overseas Healthcare Team (+44 191 218 1999) to get a Provisional Replacement Certificate.

    The NHS website and the travel pages will be updated with further information as the circumstances change.

    When travelling in the UK or beyond, you should still take out comprehensive travel insurance and check that it covers your current circumstances, including any medical conditions.  If you have an annual policy, do make sure you check the Terms and Conditions and contact your insurance provider if you're not sure.

    Whenever you are travelling, you should have a travel insurance that includes cover for emergency medical treatment and associated costs.  The existing EHIC arrangements are not an alternative to travel insurance, as some health-related costs, including for medical repatriation, ongoing medical treatment and non-urgent treatment, are not covered. 

    Data Roaming

    Under EU rules, the cost of making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU is the same in the UK, and this will continue after 31 January 2020.

    We will keep you updated, but would always recommend that you refer to the relevant country in the Foreign Travel Advice page for full details on visa requirements and all other aspects of travel - click here.


    We know it's a real pain filling in long winded enquiry forms so we've given you two options…

    Quick Enquiry - this includes an option to request a call back at a time convenient to you. Please enter your details below.

    Detailed Enquiry - click here to complete the enquiry form and we'll contact you with a detailed quote based on the information you've provided

    Thanks for your enquiry